May 24, 2012

"Honor" Memorial Day 2012


Honor
By John R. Greenwood




The word I most attribute to those in uniform. Men and women who risk life and limb to protect and provide freedom and liberty for me; a faceless neighbor. Men and women with families of their own who wait at home with held-breathe and prayer filled mind. Bravery drenched individuals who face fear head-on because they believe the wind filled flag on my front porch. Honor has many synonym's, like integrity and virtue, morality and character. The word honor stands above because it encompasses them all. Honor clothed in uniform gives me chills when taps are played or an anthem sung. The courage within, the selfless sacrifice without hesitation. I admire them all. I thank them deep inside and twice as wide. I swell with American pride when I see a soldier squat to grasp a charging child. I love my country. I hold close the hearts of the men and women who protect it. On this Memorial Day 2012 I salute all who serve my country; past, present, and future. 


My submission for this week's Think Tank Thursday



8 comments:

  1. So lovely, John. I love the image of the wind-filled flag on your porch.......and your heart swelling with pride at the soldier bent down to catch a charging little boy..........men and women of honor, all. Great post, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute. The image of those who "wait at home with held breath" particularly touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your tribute, John. I shared the same kind of sentiments on the theme of 'honor,' but it seems that we were in the minority of those I have read. I have a son-in-law who serves. I honor him and others. Happy Memorial Day, John!

    http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2012/05/memorial-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding tribute, there's just something about Taps isn't there? Have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely tribute. Yes, they are all so very brave and, ought to be so honoured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was wonderful and made me swell with pride. I am married to an enlisted man, Navy~ Happy Memorial Day to you!

    Yes, a really amazing tribute :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect image! Thank you.
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2012/05/26/all-you-got/

    ReplyDelete