March 06, 2013

New Bike Smile

New Bike Smile
by John R. Greenwood

New Bike Smile x 3
There is nothing that brings a bigger smile to a child's face than a brand new bike. In fact there is nothing that brings a bigger smile to a father's face than handing over the reins of that bike to his child. This simple little scene proves my point. My job provides the opportunity to travel all over the area, and everyday signs of life greet me around ever corner. This was a 1950's moment in a 2013 world. I too smiled from ear to ear as I watched this Norman Rockwell moment unfold. I commented on what a beautiful bike she had there. Dad grinned and explained that it was a Christmas gift and he simply couldn't make her wait another day. Santa even left the new bike manual dangling from the seat. The most heartwarming part came when dad finished helping his daughter fill her bike tires with air. They both pivoted in unison to the front tire on dad's car and she proceeded to help him fill his tires. As I stood there absorbing the moment I politely asked dad if he would mind me capturing the father-daughter moment on my camera. He was kind enough to say yes. 

Yes, I do tend to lean a little nostalgic with these things sometimes but you will too someday. I constantly plead with the young fathers under my supervision to stop and savor these specks of gold along the way. At the time they may seem insignificant and hold up getting that delivery off the truck, but one day in the not so distant future they will see them differently. Hopefully they will cherish them for what they are. They are bits and pieces of life that we can't get back. You have to grasp them tight when they occur. There are hundreds of things that will vie for your attention over your lifetime. Be cautious. Don't let the media, public opinion, or your peers influence how you see the world. See it through your eyes. Sometimes you need to ease off on the throttle a little bit to insure you don't miss what's happening right before your eyes. When was the last time you enjoyed that New Bike Smile?   

7 comments:

  1. Oh John this is so true,please continue to encourage people to make the small things in life count ! c.june

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have captured a marvelous moment. And shared it with us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just got back from a walk in the woods over at your blog. It's sort of like a bartering system isn't it.

      Delete
  3. I sent your post to a young nice mother -- my daughter. I felt it was such a good message -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an important message, thanks. rhea

    ReplyDelete