August 08, 2013

Book By Mail


Book By Mail
By John R. Greenwood

They say you can’t judge a book by its cover. In this case I hope that proves false. I ordered a vintage 1960’s book recently.  Today it came via the United States Postal Service. It was propped gently against the back door. I was mesmerized by how beautiful the book was packaged. It was covered in wonderful stamps of all kinds. I was as thrilled by the package as I was by the contents. I was like the child who spends Christmas Day playing in the cardboard box his overpriced, oversized, already forgotten gift came in. Yes, I am a simple man. 

I can’t explain why this envelope was such a treat. I think one reason is the excitement that comes with receiving something so personal by mail. This great package made up for a years worth of junkmail. The future of the mail is in jeopardy. I can live without Saturday deliveries. I'm fairly certain my Saturday mail gets held back anyway. Monday's volume is always tenfold Saturday's sales catalog. 

I really enjoyed receiving this envelope. I may even frame it as a eclectic reminder of a changing piece of history. I remember sending mom and dad postcards from camp. They were short and misspelled but they were heartfelt and real. I hope before sending letters and cards becomes completely obsolete that they make a nostalgic comeback. I am pulling for a rebirth of postcards and handwritten love letters. Love letters than speak of moonlit nights and long autumn walks. 

For now I plan to enjoy my stamp smothered package. The one encasing a yet unseen book I plan to show you in a future post.  


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love packages smothered in stamps. Folks who send those know the recipient is more than likely an appreciator, maybe even a philatelist. I'm so happy. I got to use that word for the first time in a long while. Enjoy that package and I'm looking forward to seeing the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you used that word for the first time. Now that I know the meaning and I am fairly certain there's no chance I'll ever be a philanthropist, at least I can truthfully add philatelist to my resume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...made up for years worth of junk mail." There is something magical about legit mail, especially something special like a book. I can see how this package fades the annoyance of junk mail. Enjoy! Diane

    ReplyDelete