December 11, 2013

Running Off The Road

Running Off The Road
By John R. Greenwood

I apologize if you arrived here looking for a car in the ditch. It's not my car that's stuck-it's me. It happens, and when it does it wreaks havoc. I don't know exactly how it happened this time but it did. I'd like to blame it on the chest cold I've been battling but I don't think that's the real problem. I think it has more to do with having more stuff going into my head than I can process. I run out of time and energy. Ultimately that results in running off the road. I get mired and the more I press the gas pedal the deeper the ditch gets. It happens to everyone and around the holidays it reaches epidemic proportions. The problem is how do you pull yourself out? I try to stay patient and wait it out. I keep the swivel in my neck oiled so I don't miss any signs along the way. Many times I will sit and stare at my bookshelf looking for a clue. Many of the books I enjoy run along the lines of personal reinvention. Today was no exception. One arm length away lay a tow truck ready to pull me back to where I belong. It was a book by Natalie Goldberg on writing memoir. The book is called Old Friend from Far Away and the page I opened up to had the answer right there. I will explain in more detail later. For now work awaits and so my mind is placed back on hold. Please be patient. It's what life is all about... 


2 comments:

  1. Natalie Goldberg was an inspiration to me years ago. I have a litlle story about Natalie. She was having an in-person interview in a Santa Fe Restaurant about six years ago. My son who was sitting near the interview didn't have a clue who she was. He just heard she was going to have a writers workshop. After the workshop he went up to her and said my mother is a writer -- could you give me some info on your classes. I laughed when he brought me the info -- I said you are so funny, you were talking to a real writer and you elevated me to her status? He laughed and so did I. I believe Natalie will throw a life raft to you for sure. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that rest is needed - I'm not sure if it is "recharging" of the battery or just a time to focus on other things. The process of writing - the withdrawing a bit from daily life or the interaction with others - sometimes needs to be sets aside. After all, it is usually such "life" that we write about! :) Merry Christmas, John.

    ReplyDelete