February 27, 2014

Open Till 8

Open Till 8 
By John R. Greenwood

I've been re-reading Randy Pausch's, "The Last Lecture." If you're not familiar with it I will let Google fill you in. This short little piece is about something he wrote about that seemed simple but it really made me stop and think. He's just been told he has just a few months to live and he thinks of his visits to Disney. Now, I've never been there myself, Storytown was always more than adequate for me, but his observation was about the response the staff is supposed to give when they are asked, "What time does the park close?" Randy remembered someone telling him they are supposed to answer, "The park is open until 8pm." That is such a slight variation with such long reaching meaning that it made me stop and think about it for quite awhile. I couldn't help thinking how differently people look at life. Some days it is hard to see the horizon but there are some mornings when I can't help but be elated to be here at all. It's easy to dig a hole but what good does it do? Life is a fairly simple activity. How much happier can someone be? The richest man in the world has bigger worries. When you boil this journey down to the syrup it's really about functioning day to day in a frame of mind that promotes wanting to do it again tomorrow. You want to have enough gumption to care about what you accomplished but not so much stress about it that it follows you to bed. It can be boring and it can be a canon blast. Being comfortable enough to enjoy it either way takes some practice. The photo above seemed to portray optimism to me. It might portray unattainable heights to others. It might even say that to me later today but for now I feel like I'm in the plus column and I'm not sure why. Let's just run with it for now. How late are you open? 

2 comments:

  1. Intriguing photo. Every is an opportunity -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that this should pop into my inbox this morning, I just finished reading the last page of this book just last night! Now, onto the book that his wife wrote!

    ReplyDelete