March 12, 2012

"Porch Peace"


Porch Peace
By John R.Greenwood

Each porch step up
A story to tell
Of lives and loves from
The world that surrounds

Friends stop by and whisper
Did you know? Did you hear?
Porch simple moments
Unchanged through the years

The neighbor's new Chevy
A lost wallet is found
An upcoming wedding
The old barn that burned down

Boys perched on railings
Swinging their feet
Dad hikes up his work pants
That droop in the heat

On the paint worn top step
Giggling girls squished together
As if joined at the hip
Like birds of a feather

Women in blue dresses
Red petunias in clay pots
Babies in playpens
Sleeping or not

Visions of porches
Today or yet to be
Provide a little haven
That's safe for you and me
I wrote this poem for "Porch Pieces" - Artist Bryony Graham's living sculpture.

J.R.G.9.11.10

5 comments:

  1. I am a big advocate of porch peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, John. One of my favorite things in life is swinging on my porch swing on the deck. For happiness and peace, one only needs a porch to sit on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, John. I especially liked the reading and the video. The impromptu sound of geese at the end added a lovely element to it. Very nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good poem! And thanks so much for your fun contribution to last week's Limerick-Off!

    ReplyDelete