April 27, 2014

Who Am I and What Have I Done With My Pen?


Who Am I and What Have I Done With My Pen? 
By John R. Greenwood

"The long road ahead"
This was a strange day and in some ways a mildly painful one. It began the night before while watching the Colbert Report. The guest was author George Saunders and he was promoting his latest book, “Congratulations, by the way”. The book is a transcript of a convocation speech he gave at Syracuse University where he teaches. The speech touched on the desire of many of us to lead kinder more fulfilling lives. Now, I hadn’t even read the speech or any of his other books. I had not even heard of the man before yesterday, but as I researched his background, I realized something. I realized that my thirst may never be quenched. What I found when I began reading some of the things he’d written was that I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. I have no doubt about his talent. He had more awards and accolades than you could shake a stick at. The problem was, I didn’t get it. I didn’t understand what people found so “amazing” about his stories. I liked his interviews and his demeanor. I found his imagination to be extraordinary. What I struggled with was enjoying his stories. Maybe I’m lazy. Maybe I don’t want to think about what I’m reading. Maybe I need to be better educated to enjoy someone who borders on genius. I was upset at myself. I kept looking up more of his work, more interviews, more reviews. All I got was more frustrated with my own work. Were did I stand when it came to ability and possibility. Why did this bother me so much? I felt claustrophobic. I was facing a serious feeling of self doubt. Was I wasting my time even touching a laptop or picking up a pen? I spent an entire Saturday letting this subject swirl around my head. I have been told my writing was descriptive and well crafted. I sometimes even believed it. But when I started comparing experience and accolades I began sinking lower in my chair. My shoulders slumped and my confidence level dropped below freezing. I started to stiffen up. My head was pounding. What was happening? Do others experience this phenomenon? 

I finally talked myself off the ledge. I was convinced that what was happening was normal. I didn’t have to rely on my writing to pay the car payment--I had a nine to five for that. What I did need was more courage, more gumption, less whining. Did I really think my silly little blog posts could compare to the talent of someone who’d won a Guggenheim and MacArthur Fellowship in the same year? He was famous and I was not. On one hand I couldn’t feel more distant and on the other, the desire to put my thoughts and dreams down on paper was exactly the same as his. He’d paid his dues. I was just beginning. The difference right now was years, or maybe just minutes. I went back to George for a second look. I would buy one of his books. I would study and survey his work more thoroughly. Who was I to think this stuff comes naturally. How arrogant of me. I learned a valuable lesson today. I learned that there are more books than libraries, more trees than forests. I owed it to George to look closer. The ability to grow and thrive depends on our resolve and doing your homework. It doesn’t come on a silver platter. I felt compelled to write about my shortcomings as an artist because I made the mistake of using a measuring stick instead of looking in the mirror. It isn't about the reviews; it's about the person being reviewed. It's about being true to what speaks to you. The problem comes when you're not listening. Today I vowed to open my eyes and listen more closely. 

8 comments:

  1. I believe it's also about the satisfaction of putting down the thoughts in words, and being free to change them about however you wish. Swirl....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound post! -- barbara -- FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I didnt miss this post. I wager so many of us have moments of wondering the same thing. But what people always say to me is, regardless of how brilliant someone else's voice is, YOUR voice is yours and unique and we like your work for what YOU have to say as only you can say it.

    I know I always come away from your posts and photos feeling good. That is no small thing, my friend. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I also have never heard of George Saunders but my life is no less the richer. One thing I know for sure, my life IS richer for having found your blog and for being nourished in spirit by your beautiful photos and writings. Your words fall on readers all over this country and beyond. That is powerful. And it is good! Thank you so very much for your candor today. Keep writing from your heart. You have many readers and we appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many kind words and I thank all of you. When I read Charlotte's comments it came at the most opportune time. It's amazing to me how things happen. Just when you start to slouch someone comes along and gives you that little boot in the pants that you desperately need. Charlotte, it was more of a hug than a boot but I sure am glad you took the time to comment. It meant the world to me. To everyone who stops by here to check in, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep writing. I always enjoy your observations. I am 85 years old, and have many country memories of growing up and the fiber of folks and situations that demonstrated basically a community of integrity for me. For that I am grateful--came from a small village town in Idaho, Dietrich, population somewhere around 80 total. Our HS graduating class had 12 members and was the largest class in years. I love your interaction with new grandson and reflections on parenting. I look forward to continuing enjoyment of your posts. Founs you via our good friend of the blog world: Jon KATZ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came back to read this again, John. I agree with the others, your photos and your John's-eye view of the world is a kind and heartwarming one. You make the world seem - the way the world SHOULD be and, given all the negative stuff we hear about, it is always a great pleasure to walk with you and your camera through your hometown, and to read your words. You have your own voice, and it adds something very good to our world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great post, John. It speaks to so many of us.

    ReplyDelete