April 10, 2012

Aging Grace-Fully

Aging Grace-Fully
By John R. Greenwood

Age is beauty on a precipice 
Teetering precariously at the edge of fear and joy

Peering over with open mind
exhilaration befriends us

Retreating to safety masked in fear
we shrivel up
wilt 
and blow away

Seek something
                                                                 somewhere

See what others do not
 Say what you
                                  feel
you should

Be 
someone
you feel 
you should
be

jrg4.10.12




10 comments:

  1. Oh, this one speaks to me. I feel like I'm teetering precariously right now! I like the pictures you put with this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this post. I definitely identify with Old Wrecks, hee hee! In the most loving way:) I especially love "Peering over with open mind, exhilaration befriends us". It's the only way to roll, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you matched the photos to your lovely words. Nice to know that an old, beat-up truck could still have umph. I just hope I can be like it. Really enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This beat up old truck says, "Thank you all for dropping in. Your comments are appreciated."

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,

    I love the words and even more so, the images. They are both sad and practical...Like a memorial in houour of good service in life.

    Best Wishes,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, your observation was my goal. Even at rusty-rest they provide calm for my camera and earn respect from my pen.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea old truck poetry was such a blooming genre. Thanks for making that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am one of the invisible aging boomers, and yet, i will not go quietly into this goodnight (Fitzgerald). I am loving this poem.

    good job, good job.

    thank you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As we get older it is easier to be ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with Karen - I have been me for a long time...

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete