August 17, 2013

Crayola Sunset

Crayola Sunset 
By John R. Greenwood


Kayak Shack and Fish Creek Marina 
 When my mind reaches for something that's not there and I need an answer I grab my camera and a set of keys. Today after spending the day working around the house I was tired, sore, and hungry for a photograph fix. My skills as a photographer are limited. I don't worry about my ISO's or my shudder speed. I don't have time to. I have a baby camera with good manners and autofocus skills of the highest regard. What I do have when it comes to taking photographs is desire. I have this insatiable desire to find that photo that talks to you. It something that spends the day with me and never leaves. I want to learn more about my camera. I want to know it inside and out, but I am an impatient man. All that takes time and with my age peeking under the door of six decades I don't want to waste a minute. I love to write but I need a vision in my head to do it. I write my best pieces when I have a photo to guide me. If I don't have a physical photo I have to stop and create one in my mind. I suppose that's what writing is. 


The photos in this post were taken on late Saturday afternoon motorcycle ride. I grabbed my camera and headed to nearby Fish Creek. Fish Creek is the outlet of Saratoga Lake. The sun was tired too. It was slowly dripping beneath the hills to the west. The light was August rich and the air smelled of summer's wane. My heart lifted as a boat drifted past, a man and his two sons flipping colorful bass lures in the glistening shadows of the bridge where I stood watching. 


Moments later a canoe paddled by leaving a gentle wake rippling off into the cattails. It was a short simple visit to a bridge. The marina nestle at the creeks edge was the real gem. The colorful boats and building decorated the bank and lifted my spirit. Tired children could be heard in the distance, hanging on to that last bit of energy with a race along the waters edge. Standing there at the rail of the bridge provided a calming hug at the end of a busy work week. 


This is what art and artistry is meant to do for us. Whether it's painting a watercolor of an idyllic farm scene, or singing a baby to soft slumber, artistry soothes our soul. Your skill level with a paint brush or guitar pic is only significant if you are paying bills with them. When you need to introduce joy and love into your heart via art and artistry the only requirement is to begin...


All the photos above were taken from Stafford's Bridge on Rt. #67 Stillwater. Here is a link to the Fish Creek Marina

10 comments:

  1. You have an absolutely incredible eye. Your photographs are always intriguing, or beautifully lit, or something extraordinary you've seen in the ordinary. It really does just take desire, and the world opens up to us... your writing is equally full of beautiful images, poetry within these words...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I couldn't agree with Teresa more. You have a poetic way of writing, as well as capturing special moments. You turn life into art - and that is a gift you share with us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Turning life into art is the ultimate compliment. I have to say, I feel the same about the sites of all those commenting here today.

      Delete
  3. As usual, I'm hooked on your every word and the wonderful baby Sony images. I know that spot well, and you transformed a beautiful locality into a paradise. I will never see it in the old light again. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you will have to post on your Fish Creek connection, the fuse of a curious mind has been lit.

      Delete
  4. What a gift you have, John: to be struck dumb with wonder and delight by the light that shines through the ordinary. Thank you for these beautiful photos of a place I know well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I knew this would be familiar territory for you. I do recall one of your posts about Fish Creek where posted signs and threats of bodily harm were discovered along the waters edge. I will have to go back now and revisit that post.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes you just have to go with....The simple things in life....(there's a country song about it) But we all have to open our eyes and appreciate what's in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to wonder why I love to play my cello so, even if there is no one listening. Why am I doing it then? Because as you put it so simply and so well, 'it soothes my soul' (and I usually do have my two dogs curled up nearby - music seems to soothe their souls as well. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete