August 06, 2013

Show Me The Way

Inspiration for me usually comes from a photograph. Sometimes it's an old family photo. Most of the time it comes from something I find in my everyday travels. That is why my camera is never far away. This summer has blasted past me. My work world has been especially demanding and it has drained my writing and my energy. I'm not complaining. I am fortunate to have the job I have. It is simply a fact. It's like the plans for that home improvement project that sits idle on the corner of the kitchen table. When you have the money, you don't have the time and if you wait for that week of free time, you may not have the resources. It all comes down to balance. Right now I'm off balance and in search mode. I miss my Hubbard Hall Writing Group. We haven't met in a while. Everyone has been busy.

Our mentor Jon Katz and his Bedlam Farm Journal is flourishing in the sun's glow. His energy and creativity leave me in stunned silence as I try to fathom how he pulls it all together day after day. His desire to encourage and touch the people he meets is infectious. I envy his limitless capacity to find new ways to entertain us. Lately Jon and his dog Red have been visiting local veterans. Red is fine tuning his skills as a therapy dog. Red is a magical dog. One look in the eyes of this beautiful creature and you will realize how special this animal is.

I know something is waiting just around the corner. It may be a new idea, or an old friend. I might read a story that ignites something. I never know where the next spark will come from but I know it will come. Sometimes I simply head out the door and look until I find it. Right now I'm a just too tired. That's not an excuse it's a fact. When my eyes are so heavy they hurt I know it's time to retreat, repack, and regroup. I will give it a go tomorrow. In the mean time head over to Bedlam Farm Journal and see what Jon has up his sleeve today. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. A truly magical book which features an amazing dog among many other intriguing characters - one of my most highly recommended book I've read in 3 years (and I read a lot!) - you'll sail away for many a happy hour! - The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. It may be just the book to enchant your mind while you find out what's waiting just around the corner. . and it is, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete