June 04, 2013

What is this?

What is this?

What am I?
I met Ed Gulley at BEJOSH Farm in White Creek for the first time today. I was riding with the driver who picks up Ed's milk. You can see by the photo of the milk house (below), that Ed's farm has a tinge of eccentricity to it. Ed is a friendly man and it only took a few minutes for us to strike up a conversation about his interest in antiques and old collectables. After we'd been talking for awhile Ed mentioned he had an unusual item he couldn't identify. He brought it out to show me. I asked if I could take a photograph of it. I told him I had a blog and that I would ask my readers for help. He said it wasn't all that old and you could tell by the way it was made that he was right. I was thinking maybe fifties or sixties. He said he had never seen anything like it. I have been thinking about it all day. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that it is for hanging multiple items. I almost think it might be a device to hang candles on for dipping. That is a pure guess. I am anxious to see if I'm even close. 

If you can identify Ed's mystery item you can comment here or send me an email at jgreenwood@rainingiguanas.com. I am counting on your help. 


 BEJOSH Farm 
Edward and Carol Gulley







UPDATE:   
Neuman Chimney Cleaner
Well, that didn't take long at all. I shared this post on a a Facebook Group Page called Greenfield Remembered last night and by this morning I had my answer. I want to thank Greenfield Remembered members Rachel Clothier and Sandy Arnold for their prompt and accurate research. Here is a photo of the mystery item and the packaging it was sold in. It is called a Neuman Chimney Cleaner. You drop it down into your chimney from above. When you pull up on it, it expands to the dimensions of the square chimney and the metal tines spread out and scrape off the built up creosote along the sides of the chimney. Ingenious, isn't it? Well that was fun and educational. Raining Iguanas was meant to be inspirational but maybe we have educational capabilities after all?



No comments:

Post a Comment