September 16, 2013

Once Upon A Time

Once Upon A Time
By John R. Greenwood

"Grandpa," the little one said, "What kind of world lies ahead? What can you tell me about my future." Tough questions little one but I have answers that might surprise you.

Once upon a time the world went crazy. When it did I backed up and hid behind a tree. I watched as people ran themselves ragged. They wanted more and more and then they ran aground. I swore on that day it would be different for me. I cranked down the dial and made the decision to breath deep and deliberate. I vowed to never follow the masses, never clamor for more than I need. The gift of gold upon my knee is all the joy I'll ever need. That is my happiness. Yours is baked in tomorrow's sunrise.

Here is what I see for you my little man with big boy dreams. I see magic carpet rides and sails upon a deep blue sea. I see endless walks down paths lined with dear friends and loving family. I see climbs to mountains high where the view of the world widens and ignites your spirit. I see opportunity and wonder. I  see happiness beyond your wildest imagination. I see warm puppies jumping their cute puppy jumps entertaining you until laughing tears flood your happy cheeks. I hear your mother singing softly some sweet private song no one else will ever hear. I hear your father speaking patient words of encouragement that will morph into a lifetime of nonjudgmental pats on the back and rides to the park. I see dancing fish and singing frogs playfully teasing you to come out and join them. I see diverse friendships that meld into rivers of optimism overflowing their banks. I see negativity as an unknown player who never makes the team. Your days will explode with creative fervor and your night skies will glow from full moon smiles and starstruck grins. Most of all my little man in you I see goodness. It radiates from those sparkling eyes. It will surround you and protect you always. You will spread that goodness with every wish you make for others, with every step you take for you...


11 comments:

  1. I have not told you recently how much I love to read your words! This one brought lovely tears to the eye...my favorite part is this...'I vowed to never follow the masses, never clamor for more than I need. The gift of gold upon my knee is all the joy I'll ever need. That is my happiness. Yours is baked in tomorrow's sunrise.' ...
    and oh, all the rest of it too! Sp beautifully inspired! thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I am glad you stopped by. This little piece wrote itself. I just put it down on paper.

      Delete
    2. Those are always the best! A just started baby-sitting a little guy like that today. They truly are 'gold on the knee'. Thank-you for your words on my blog as well.

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful! Thank you for sharing your gift of writing.
    Sue Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you John....love this, it is just what I wish for my new grandson
    Cindy June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky little grandson to sit upon the knee of one so loving and wise! He looks like he's eating up every word - babies are so beautiful, all fresh off of the press of God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful thoughts.Thank you for my card recently.I like following your blog.You are a wonder.I love your courage in life and your zest.I hope sometime to be as brave and courageous as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way once until I realized that someday was here. Thank you for following I am grateful for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Thought I commented here, but if not, well, I loved this! If only all children had this loving opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post has left me speechless. I feel enveloped in a lovely dream that is, and will be the life of a young and lucky boy. May he experience all that is wished upon him by his family, especially by his loving Grandfather. The photo is priceless.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel you have captured all that we wish for our Grand kids...More children need someone like you in their lives. I think that mostly we dream big for kids and grandkids, but with love thrown in they are blessed beyond even our imagination. Keep the posts coming...

    ReplyDelete