September 19, 2012

The View


The View

This is the view from my driveway. I took this simple photo before leaving for work the other day. When I look out from this spot I can instantly retreat to the year 1981 and the day we moved in. The boys were peanuts and they couldn't wait to run around the yard. Do you know that feeling you get every so often when you are in a place and you're suddenly able to see the past just as it was decades earlier? I can do that from this spot on demand. It is especially easy at this time of year. We moved here in the month of October. I can remember looking up the road and seeing an open field and few trees. There were two new homes where now there are multiple housing developments, condos, and apartments. Back then it was a quiet little corner with a car or two coasting by. I now live in the Talladega infield. This was a nice place to plant a family. It was close, but not too close, quiet but not too quiet. I've had cars crash in the yard, deer and fox run through it and fixed many broken cars and trucks here. There's been games played with pucks, basketballs, footballs, and baseballs. The aluminum siding can attest to it. The property was once the home of an old grade school. I believe that's why it's blessed with smiles and embraces fond memories. I miss the commotion. I love the opportunity that circles this little hunk of Wilton. I live in the middle of life. I can head in any direction and find something worth the price of that gallon of gas. I like it here. I plan to stay. There are days I can't get out of the driveway anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment